All who are baptized are called to ministry and for some this will be a calling to ordained ministry.
The Church needs a wide variety of clergy, women and men, from all walks of life, social classes and ethnic backgrounds if it is to represent and bring the transforming power of the Gospel into every cultural context.
The diocesan vision, 'we pray to be generous and visible people of Jesus Christ' , reminds us that whoever we are we share in this ministry together.
The Bishop's Adviser for Women's Ministry for Ely Diocese is Wendy Thomson. Her role as Adviser is to promote the full inclusion of women with the following three priorities:
- Encouraging young vocations (under 32 years)
- Supporting well-being and aspiration at every level
- Monitoring diocesan HR practices for good practice, habits and ethos
Wendy is supported in her role by other ordained women in the Focus Group and in the Clergy Well-Being Group.
She represents the needs and circumstances of ordained women as a member of the Bishop's Senior Staff team as well as working as a vicar in a Market town.
If you would like to get involved in supporting other women clergy as an advocate or as a mentor, please do contact Wendy on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01354 692173.
More information about policies, conferences, and training opportunities will be coming soon.
- NADAWM website: www.nadawm.org.uk
- Transformations Group (Church of England Steering Group for women's ordained ministry): www.churchofengland.org/clergy-office-holders/ministry/deployment/transformations.aspx
- AWESOME (Evangelical Women's Network): www.awesome.co.uk
- WATCH (Women and the Church): https://womenandthechurch.org
- The Sophia Network (women's leadership in ministry, originally for women youth workers but now for all forms of ministerial leadership): http://blog.sophianetwork.org.uk/