In July 2009, General Synod enthusiastically commended the 'Giving for Life' report. This was the first time it has held a significant debate on issues of giving and generosity since 2000. General Synod's resolution:
- set giving within the context of discipleship and mission
- encouraged church members to set the target of giving 5% of their income to and through the church, and a further 5% to other organisations that help build God's kingdom
- commended the initiative for prayerful discussion and action by parishes.
(click here for full details of Synod's Resolution)
Whilst Synod's leadership in encouraging generous giving is vital, it is action at parish level that really makes a difference. As well as a brief Giving for Life clergy introduction, there are two primary resources for parishes:
- A guide for PCCs to review their strategy, adopt proven good practice, and identify priorities. (Find out more)
- Talks and accompanying leaflets that enable parishes
to provide some teaching which seeks to develop holistically generous disciples:
a. The original Giving for Life congregational leaflet - now back in print. (Find out more)
b. Generosity and Mission (Find out more)
c. Living Generously (new for 2013: Find out more)
Giving for Life identified four key tasks for parishes to be confident that they are adopting good practice in encouraging giving and generosity. Click here to find out more about these.
There are lots of support materials on the Parish Resources website for downloading.