Prayer in daily life
- The Church of England website suggests a range of apps for delivering a daily pattern of prayer, bible reading and reflections to your smartphone.
- An introduction to prayer from the Church of England website
- Guidance on creating, shaping and using a space to pray
- Daily prayer in the Celtic tradition from the Northumbria community
- Ely Diocese's calendar of prayer topics and themes
- The worldwide Anglican church's calendar of prayer topics and themes -
- Sacred Space is a website and app which guides you through a session of prayer, in six stages, including preparing your body and mind, and culminating in reflection on a scripture passage chosen specially for the day.
- Pray As You Go is a website and app developed by the Jesuits and used by Christians from a wide range of traditions.
- Book: The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
Reading the Bible
There are a number of apps available (some free) to help you with regular bible reading. Here are some popular ones.
What we believe
- The Pilgrim Way is a new guide to the core beliefs of the Christian faith. Set out in a question and answer format, it follows one of the Church's very earliest ways of teaching and training disciples.
- Deceloped by the Christian Enquiry Agency, this Christianity website has lots of accessible articles on faith, prayer and spirituality.
- The Christian Enquiry Agency provides information for people who want to find out more about the Christian faith.
- Via an app, email or Facebook, this Church Army resource provides five weeks of daily readings about the difference a Christian faith makes to your life.
- Young people who are new Christians may like the prayer magnets and shuffle (playing cards for someone who has just decided to follow Jesus) which can be found on the Youthscape website.
Being a disciple
- An introduction to the Christian life, with links to more about God, Jesus, the bible, prayer, the church, and FAQs.
- Resources for individuals and small groups, and apps on the Bible Society website.
Sharing your faith
- Faith Pictures is a free short course from Church Army designed to help Christians talk naturally to friends, neighbours and colleagues about what they believe.
Resources for Families
- A blog which reflects on the joys and challenges of forming faith in children, youth and families.
- Parenting for Faith equips parents to help their children of all ages connect with God.
- Care for the Family is a registered charity which promotes strong family relationships and helps those who face family difficulties.
- Through the Roof is a registered charity that exists to transform lives through Jesus with disabled people.
- The Diocese of Oxford has produced a 'dwelling in the story' family activity sticker book called God Venture through the story of Lazarus. Written by Victoria Beech with Yvonne Morris, it is designed for families to have fun meeting with God as they explore the story of Lazarus. www.GodVenture.co.uk
- Christian Publishing and Outreach (CPO) has a booklet entitled 52 Weekly Devotions for busy families. Available to buy from their website.
Prayer ideas to use in the home
- www.faithinhomes.org.uk (Facebook page)
- The Going for Growth website has some good resources
- Blog-style website with lots of ideas: www.flamecreativekids.blogspot.co.uk
- Prayer Spaces in Schools enables children and young people, of all faiths and none, to explore questions around life, spirituality and faith in a safe, creative and interactive way.
- The Bible Reading Fellowship (BRF) has a good ideas page.
Books which you may find helpful
- The Parenting Book by Nicky and Sila Lee
- The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman
- The Sixty Minute Family by Rob Parsons
Youth Way of Life
The following books and resources are suggested to support people leading the Youth Way of Life
Reading & Research:
- Sticky Faith: Youth Worker Edition Dr Kara E. Powell
- The Theological turn in Youth Ministry Andrew Root / Kenda Creasy Dean
- Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right - Doug Fields
- Sustainable Youth Ministry Mark DeVries
- Speaking to Teenagers: How to Think About, Create, & Deliver Effective Messages - Doug Fields / Duffy Robins
- Grove Books Youth Series