26 May 2022: Publication of the independent lessons learnt review of the recruitment and appointment of William Scott Farrell
- The Diocese of Ely welcomes the publication of the independent lessons learnt review of the recruitment and appointment of William Scott Farrell, a former assistant director of music at Ely Cathedral, who had pleaded guilty and was jailed for safeguarding offences that occurred while he was working at two cathedrals.
- The main objective of the Review, commissioned by the National Safeguarding Team and carried out by an independent safeguarding chair, was to allow the Church of England to take steps to enhance and improve its response to allegations of abuse and to ensure a safer environment for all. The Terms of Reference for the Review can be viewed here.
- The Diocese of Ely welcomes the recommendations of the Review and is committed to safeguarding as an integral part of the life and ministry of the Church. The Diocese continues to fully adopt the Church of England’s safeguarding policy statement - ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ and the Safer Recruitment and People Management Guidance documentation and processes.
- If you or anyone you are in contact with are affected by the publication of this report and want to talk to someone independently please call the Safe Spaces helpline on 0300 303 1056 or email email@example.com.
- Alternatively, you may wish to contact the Diocese of Ely Safeguarding Team, whose contact details can be found on the Diocesan website here or the National Safeguarding Team whose email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. There is also a range of National, Local and Diocesan contact numbers and websites for safeguarding care and support on the Diocesan website here.
- The Diocese of Ely has also independently commissioned Thirtyone:eight to undertake its own independent Survivor Review. Thirtyone:eight are particularly interested in speaking to those who have experienced survivor care through the Diocese of Ely in order to inform this review. If you would like to express an interest in speaking with the independent reviewer please email Simon Plant at email@example.com. If you would like an introduction to Simon through the Diocese of Ely, please contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor, Rebecca Boswell by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.