Resources and Organisations for Care and Support

This page shows National, Local and Diocesan contact numbers and websites for safeguarding care and support.

The sections below are structured to help you find support based on your own personal circumstances.

Adults who have experienced abuse

Safe Spaces

  • Safe Spaces [external link] is a service for victims and survivors of church-related abuse. Safe Spaces is a free and independent support service for anyone who has experienced abuse in relation to the Church of England, the Church in Wales, or the Catholic Church of England and Wales. This could be abuse by someone who holds any role in the church or is linked to participating in a church-led activity or group.
  •  If you have been affected, however long ago, Safe Spaces can provide you with support. You do not have need to have told the police or the church authorities, and you do not have to still be involved with the church. Your information will not be shared without your consent, unless you or someone else is in immediate danger. 
  • Safe Spaces can provide a range of help, including advocating with authorities and other agencies, giving emotional support, providing information (including information on church and police procedures), understanding your needs and working together on individual support plans.
  • Contact Safe Spaces
    • Tel: 0300 303 1056 (Opening Times: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am-5pm, Tuesday: 9am-7pm - answerphone available outside of opening times)
    • Email: 
    • Visit the Safe Spaces website

The Elms Sexual Abuse Referral Centre (website)

  • The Elms SARC offers a comprehensive service for adults and children in Cambridgeshire who have experienced sexual violence or sexual abuse.
  • Their clients can access The Elms SARC via the Police and other professionals, as well as via the self-referral pathway (booking an appointment at the SARC, without police involvement).
  • 01480 425003 or email at

Other Resources

My Support Space MOJ (click here for the website)

  • My Support Space is an online resource designed by the independent charity Victim Support to help you manage the impact that crime has had on you.
  • You can work through a series of interactive guides which address your specific needs. The guides are designed to be completed in your own time and at your own pace. You can save your progress and revisit where you left off at any time.
  • There's also information about where and how you can access further support, and the opportunity to register with SilverCloud, an online therapy system.
  • My Support Space is also available for those supporting someone after they’ve experienced crime or trauma, for example friends, family members, colleagues or neighbours.
  • When registering for an account, you can select that you're a supporter rather than a victim or witness of crime. You will then have access to guides that have been designed to help you support a loved one.

Faith related abuse and spiritual abuse

Authorised Listening Service

  • If you are a survivor or victim of abuse that happened in a Church setting, whether it happened recently or many years ago, and you would like to talk to someone about what happened, then please contact the safeguarding team. Abuse is never the fault of the child or vulnerable person who was abused.
  • It is always the responsibility of a person in a position of power or trust to ensure that appropriate boundaries are maintained, and that children and other people in their care who are vulnerable to abuse, or neglect are kept safe.
  • The Diocese of Ely commissions an independent Listening Service from thirtyone:eight who offer a supportive listening service to those who have experienced abuse. Please see the leaflet for more information.. thirtyone:eight helpline 0303 003 1111
  • If you or someone you know might like to meet with an Authorised Listener please encourage them to contact the safeguarding team.


Other Resources

Reporting new safeguarding referrals and concerns

  • In a safeguarding emergency please contact the Police on x999
  • Contact the Diocesan Safeguarding team via the details clicking here.
  • Other appropriate Social Care agencies can be contacted via the links on this page.

Children and Adult Services in Cambridgeshire, Peterborough & Norfolk

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Children's Services (referrals)

  • Cambridgeshire Tel: 0345 045 5203
  • Peterborough Tel: 01733 864180
  • Out of hours (Cambridge & Peterborough):01733 234724

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Adult Services (referrals)

  • Cambridgeshire Tel: 0345 045 5202
  • Peterborough Tel: 01773 747474

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Safeguarding Partnership Board (Children and Adult)

 Norfolk Children's Services (referrals)

  • Tel 0344 800 8020

Norfolk Adult Services (referrals)

  • Tel: 0344 800 8020

Norfolk Safeguarding Children’s Partnership

Norfolk Safeguarding Adult Partnership

Other Resources

  • NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
  • Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
  • Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
  • Past Cases Review 2 NSPCC helpline for Children and Adults: 0800 80 20 20

Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence Partnership (Cambridgeshire and Peterborough)

  • The Partnership brings together key agencies across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough with the aim of reducing the harm, risks and costs associated with domestic abuse and sexual violence and to prevent these crimes occurring across Cambridgeshire.
  • Please visit the Partnership's website for support available to you - click here

IMPAKT Housing and Support

Following a procurement exercise, Cambridgeshire County Council has commissioned IMPAKT Housing and Support to provide a countywide mobile advocacy/outreach service offering a range of support to victims and survivors of domestic abuse.

The new Domestic Abuse Support Service (DASS) will work in a trauma informed way to understand the needs and wishes of the individual and develop appropriate support and safety plans. DASS will offer support with issues around home security to help survivors remain safely in their own homes where appropriate, accessing benefits and signposting or referral to specialist services such as legal representation, mental health and substance misuse. DASS will also be offering drop-in services in partnership with other specialist services across the county.

Survivors can self-refer to the confidential service by: Email:

A freephone number will be available soon, in the meantime please use 01234 264109

Other Resources

If you are affected by stalking and harassment

  • National Stalking Helpline (website) The National Stalking Helpline gives practical information, support, and advice to victims of stalking 0808 802 0300

For those experiencing mental health and wellbeing issues

  • Kooth (website) Online mental wellbeing community. Free, safe and anonymous support
  • Keep Your Head  (website) Keep Your Head brings together reliable information on mental health and wellbeing for children, adults and professionals
  • Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
  • HEAR 85258 NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough have commissioned a new all age service to help support individuals who are struggling to cope with their mental wellbeing. HEAR is a confidential, free, 24/7 text message support service for anyone in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.

For older people

  • Age UK Advice Line: 0800 678 1602
  • Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 0808 808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm)
  • The Silver Line (website) 0800 4 70 80 90 The Silver Line is the only confidential, free helpline for older people across the UK open every day and night of the year.

Other Support Organisations

We understand reporting abuse may be very difficult and distressing to you and it may add to your hurt by our not being able to immediately assist you. Therefore, here are the contact details of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:

Hub of Hope

  • The Hub of Hope (click here for the website) is the UK’s leading mental health support database.
  • It is provided by national mental health charity, Chasing the Stigma, and brings local, national, peer, community, charity, private and NHS mental health support and services together in one place for the first time.
  • The website allows you to put in your postcode to find support services local to you.

Church of England National Contacts

  • The Church of England has produced a fuller list of organisations offering support to survivors, including therapy and counselling resources, helplines and self-help resources, is available to download from here.
  • National casework enquiries -
  • General safeguarding enquiries -
  • Write to: National Safeguarding Team, Church House, Great Smith Street, Westminster, SW1P 3AZ
Page last updated: Thursday 17th November 2022 3:43 PM
Powered by Church Edit