The legislation relating to parochial fees underwent extensive revision by the General Synod in 2011. The Ecclesiastical Fees (Amendment) Measure 2011 made the following changes to the legal framework relating to parochial fees:
- Replaced of the incumbent’s fee by a fee payable to the diocesan board of finance;
- Established a list of services and other matters in respect of which parochial fees may be prescribed;
- Archbishops’ Council given the power to prescribe fees (including increases) for a period of up to five years;
- Express power to prescribe what costs and expenses are included within the statutory fees.
Parochial fees tables and rates
The parochial fees tables and rates are prepared and set by the Archbishops’ Council. The main fees that are currently payable by law (excluding ‘Extras’) are set out in the forms linked below and include marriages, baptisms, funerals, monuments and searches in registers etc.
"Extras" - The fees listed above are the statutory fees payable and do not include charges for heating, the services of a verger, music (e.g. organist, choir), bells, and flowers, which are fixed by the Parochial Church Council. In the case of a marriage service or a funeral service in church, any costs and expenses incurred in respect of routine administration (including arranging dates and times and the making of entries in registers), making the church available and lighting it are included in the fee prescribed as payable to the Parochial Church Council.
‘Monuments’ - in this use, is a technical term and includes, for example, a gravestone or headstone.
Tables and Church of England guidance
- The full table, including notes, guidance and FAQs is available on the Church of England website here
- Click here for a Guide to Parochial Fees
2023 Fees and Forms (to be used for all fees incurred on and after the 1st January 2023)
- Parochial Fees 2023 Diocesan Letter - update effective from 1 March 2023
- Parochial Fees 2023 Fees Table - update effective from 1 March 2023
- Parochial Fees 2023 Return Form (MS Excel)
- Running a Parish during an Interregnum:Vacancy Guidance - February 2023 (Published February 2023 for use during 2023)
- Parochial Fees 2023 Diocesan Letter (accurate up to 28 February 2023 - not to be used for Fees incured after this date - see updated Letter and Table above)
- Parochial Fees 2023 Fees Table (accurate up to 28 February 2023 - not to be used for Fees incured after this date - see updated Letter and Table above)