If God is seeking to become part of our story and for us to be part of His story, then we need to work together, share our lives. How do we do this? How can we build a relationship with the Author of all the great stories, all the personal stories? This is what 'prayer' is really about.
'What is Prayer?' Here are a few headlines
- Prayer is an invitation to explore the very heart of God
- Prayer is the place where we know God and are known by God
- Prayer is the love relationship between each of us and God
- It is love expressed; by us and by God
- It is an ongoing conversation, where we discover God, our True Selves, and others.
We too often limit the word 'prayer' to the words we speak to God, especially in a formal setting, or organised way. If the biblical image of a love story is taken seriously, I cannot see how prayer can be so limited.
Prayer is an on-going conversation with God with our whole being, not just words and not just at set times. None of us are 'experts', but all of us are as qualified, for all of us are capable of having a relationship with another person.
God expects us to pray. He wants us to pray, for he chose to walk with His Creations Adam and Eve in the cool of the evening, the act of a close and trusting friend. From our perspective, it is our only way to stay connected to the God and His Real Reality. Let's remember that Jesus, when he was human needed it.