The Bishops' Advisor for Disability has been appointed to provide practical information, links and resources for clergy and laity in parishes on matters of disability and inclusion in the Church.
Contact the Bishops' Advisor for Disability
- The Bishops' Advisor for Disability is Sue Nelms.
- Sue can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checklists for simple actions you can take
The following checklists and guidance is hoped to provide simple and often without cost actions you can take to improve the general accessibility of your church building and services.
- Checklist - How do people find your Church?
- Checklist - Car Parking at Your Church
- Checklist - Easy Access to the Building
- Checklist - External Noticeboards and Signposts
Barrier-Free Belonging - the Church of England
- Deaf and disabled people are an essential part of the Church, and the Church of England is committed to ensuring the welcome, inclusion, and participation of all as one of its major goals.
- The Archbishops’ Council which sets the strategic goals for the Church of England includes disability as one of the key areas in which it wants to improve so that people of all abilities can be full members of the Church.
- Further information and resources from the Church of England website.
Churches for All
- Churches for All is a network of UK Christian disability-engaged organisations. The Churches for All partners have a breadth of experience and depth of knowledge on disability issues – challenging and enabling churches to fully include disabled people.
- Make Yours an Accessible Carol Service - a free guide.
- The Torch Trust helps enable churches across the UK to include people with sight loss in every aspect of church life.You can join their network of churches to access training, advice, resources and be added to their sight loss friendly church finder all for free.
- Sight Loss Friendly Church Resources
Deaf community chaplains
- Cambridgeshire Deaf Church is a place to worship God, study the Bible and explore issues relating to life and faith, all in British Sign Language (BSL).